Sunday, May 3, 2009

I Had The Winner, Sort Of

C.S. and I have been having our own version of Derby Weekend, which involved about a thousand text messages, a handful of forwarded video links, and several excited phone calls with both of us talking at once.

We were very impressed with Rachel Alexandra's victory yesterday in the Kentucky Oaks (the fillies' version of the Kentucky Derby). C.S. held the phone up to his t.v. so I could listen from the car while stuck in traffic.

(photo from horsephotos.com/ESPN)

Hearing a 20-length victory is no substitute for seeing it, though! Now we are very happily looking forward to following the rest of her career. She looks like one for the ages. People are also using the s-word about her. Secretariat.

(photo from secretariat.com)

Nice flowers, huh? Those lilies must smell divine.

(photo from horsephotos.com/ESPN)

That got me psyched for the Derby today and the chance to see what the colts could do. I timed my whole day to get myself in front of a t.v. by post time. This is not necessarily easy to do, because (brace yourself) I don't own a television.

See, I never had time to watch it while I was in school. I disliked paying $60 a month for something I never watched, and once I cut off the cable, there wasn't any reason to watch even if I had the time, and then it became just another thing collecting dust, so it went into the closet. Out of sight, out of mind, until recently, when a co-worker was gathering items for a foster child who was graduating from the juvenile justice system and setting up her own apartment. Because I wasn't using it, it easily became a donation item.

That's a long, rambling build-up to my reason for being at Chili's at 6:00 this afternoon, in plenty of time to watch the post parade. C.S. and I were both rooting for Dunkirk, but the Derby is such a free-for-all, you never know what will happen. At the last minute, I sent C.S. a text saying that my longshot pick was the #8 horse. Less than two minutes later I was screaming my head off and rubbing my eyes, as my hunch, Mine That Bird, came home decisively first at odds of 50-1. Oh, if only I'd bet money!

(photo from horsephotos.com/ESPN)

Fortunately, some others watching from the bar were also urging him on at the top of their lungs. Nobody could even tell I was yelling, which is good. After all, I'll need to go back there for the Preakness.

He got some nice flowers, too.

(photo from horsephotos.com/ESPN)

4 comments:

  1. We got rid of the TV ages ago, but kept a little old black and white one in the basement so that we could watch the olympics. Don't need cable for that, and elections and such.....

    Here in Spain, we don't have one at all, but now you can watch on the internet, so if there is something big, we're still cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear I'm not the only one doing without. I agree, almost everything is on the 'net these days. Maybe not right the moment it happens, but within a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only, J.G. LOL :) Oh well. Nice to know these hunches come out... that could come in handy.

    We watched it because it came on right after a hockey game. It was interesting and other than the one time I went to a race track, I've never watched a horse race. Fine moves that horse and jockey made. Man, all the way from the back and it looked so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it, Red. Usually my hunches only work for picking the horse that runs last. Too bad there's no money in that.

    The Preakness is May 16, in case you want to watch the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.