Monday, April 20, 2009

The Perfect Haircut (Again)

I made my stylist very happy tonight. She actually told me that stylists love customers like me.

I change my hairstyle a lot, but it's all about the cut. That's because I don't like to fuss with my hair. Blowdry, slap on a little mousse/paste/gel/spray, and get going, that's my hair credo. Hence I am forever in search of the perfect super easy, low-maintenance cut . . . which then gets kind of boring . . . which leads to growing it out . . . which leads to a lot of fussing . . . which leads to cutting it off again.

I spent the last year or so in the growing out phase. But I reached my limit the other day, and I showed up tonight with the word "pixie cut" firmly embedded in my mind. Of course, short little cuts are totally last year in the style magazines, but what do I care? Tell that to Audrey Hepburn. Tell that to Julie Andrews. Tell that to Joanne Woodward. Of course, if I was as talented and beautiful as those role models, no one would care what my hair looked like.

My stylist has never experienced this part of the hair cycle with me and she was a little concerned that I didn't really mean what I said. She showed me a lot of photographs of short cuts. She asked me a bunch of questions about whether I wanted it to cover my ears or not, how long the bangs should be, and so on. When I said I liked a particular picture, she asked me "What do you like about it?" Not being a stylist myself, I found it rather difficult to explain without sounding like a bad approximation of a wine review. Add haircuts to the list of things I just don't have the vocabulary for.

Finally I just said, "Look, cut it the way you think it should be, and I promise to like it, and if I don't like it, I'll grow it out and we'll do something different next time. Just don't sneak in a big blue streak when I'm not paying attention." She liked that answer. Apparently it helped her believe that going from bob to pixie wasn't going to leave me in tears. That's when she told me it was great fun for a stylist to have a chance to create a whole new cut instead of doing "just a little trim" all the time. I never thought of it, but it makes sense.

When all was said and done, she was happy, and I was very, very happy! It's invigorating to reinvent myself, and the cut is quite flattering: short in the back, longer on top and in front, and a little bit messy for edge. C.S. gave it a "full, ringing endorsement" even before the deed was done, so no problems there.

And think of the money I'll save on shampoo!

6 comments:

  1. Your hair cycles sounds just like mine. I've even said the same thing to my stylist, "Do what you think best, I just want a change!" I'm in a long-hair phase right now; I've even got a respectable ponytail right now... maybe it's time for another cut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple weeks ago I had enough of my hair too and just went in and said, just make it short. I tend to scare hairdressers that way. They're always afraid I'll flip out at them. I never would though, if I said short, I mean short.

    Like you, I need the change in styles. I tend to wait way too long between cuts, so I often go from short to medium to almost long and then chopped off to short again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes to shake things up every so often, and scares my stylist in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband cuts my hair, and so I have had the same style for a long long time. I am nervous of getting it done here, I just don't like the cuts. The stylish ones look like they have been run over by a lawn mower and little choppy bits stick out randomly all over, there are several of the plain and unexceptional long, and then the granny dos.

    I don't like the way my hair is, but it is easy....

    Maybe some day I'll find a hairdresser I can trust....or I'll whack it all off one day myself! Sure to look bad that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so jealous. I adore the short hair but am too chicken and when I get it even close to chin length I freak out and let it grow for months. then it's stringy and bad and ugh I have to start again. About once every 10 years I have a good style...for 4 weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oreneta, you're so lucky to have your stylist on call 24/7. Maybe you could convince him to go to beauty school during his next vacation? :-)

    Girl Next Door, I highly recommend Aveda when you get the urge again. They will keep your length and add a hip look. A bit pricey, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.