Friday, February 27, 2009

Yippee! Yahoo!

It's great to be back in the virtual saddle again! The computer finally came out of the shop yesterday and it's working ever so quickly and competently. Here's hoping that continues.

The gurus were very nice and didn't laugh at me when I explained the problem in terms like "When these two programs are running, they get all tangled up in each other" and "Clicking too many buttons too fast upsets the computer." Well, they didn't laugh in my face, at least. No doubt their demeanor was different after I left the room!

Now it's as though the computer has spent two days at the spa and had one of those cleanses. If I had to guess, I'd say its "energy field" has been "rebalanced and amplified," just like the spa literature promises. Even the keys feel a little more sensitive.

The computer also had a facelift of sorts. The desktop is now yellow tulips. The icon on the Start menu is a bonsai tree. Customizing things is all well and good, but it's kind of fun to turn on the computer and think "Okay, surprise me" and get something I didn't choose for myself. I know they are stock photos, but hey, serendipity can be fun.

This makes me wonder: does the computer feel better? I know it’s a machine, but it's also a little blogging, banking, coommunicating partner. It “hears” everything I say, after all, “knows” everything I do, and “remembers” all my important creations. Without it I have trouble running my life.

My cars have always had names (and personalities to match). But the computer just slaves away without any identity. I treat her like a tool instead of a partner. I really only talk about her to complain that she’s not performing well. It’s the same old thing: I don’t care about her feelings. Maybe she'd be happier if she got a little specific recognition. Everyone likes to be appreciated, right? Even a so-called machine.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! Nice to have you back, J.G.

    I've always named my computers. My work computer is "Marvin (the Martian)" and my home computer is "Onyx."

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was writing my post it popped into my head that the computer's name is "Rochelle."

    Glad to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you've got the computer back again, and that it is working so well. I find that my outboard engine gets spa treatments....she even has a name, Suzi Ki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very apt name, Oreneta. A spa'd machine is a happy machine, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.