Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who Cooks for You?

Back to Leu Gardens today, for a dose of sunshiny winter beauty. It covers nearly 50 acres and includes everything from a citrus grove to a butterfly garden to a collection of over 2,000 camellias. Today it also included a special visitor. The blue jays spotted him/her first, and their belligerent antics and shouts of "Snake! Snake!" quickly focused my attention high in the trees. My poor camera could hardly keep up. See anything here?



No, of course not. This is just a wacky photo of trees, sky and Spanish moss, taken by an inept photographer with a seriously inadequate camera. How about now?



I believe this is a barred owl, my first sighting! I missed the shot of his/her lovely wingspread from perch to perch. The book says it is nearly 4 feet, and I agree: it was very impressive. I abandoned the walkway and trailed along a little bit, hoping for a better look. He/she also treated me to 4 samples of his/her beautiful cry, which experts describe as "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all?"

I even had the presence of mind to call up C.S. and let him listen via cellphone. It wasn't as hilarious as the time he had me listen to an Olympic bobsled run all the way from Salt Lake City, but it was just as cool.

3 comments:

  1. I love it that you two phone each other to hear things...like bobsled runs and hoot owls....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern communications have done a lot for our relationship, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Oreneta. That's funny. I have a fascination with Spanish moss hanging from trees. I think I saw too much Gone With The Wind when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.