Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Hate Reports, and I Love Sentences

I spent some time yesterday completing reports of my work activities for the last 6 months and my plans and goals for the next 6 months. Filling out forms is fun, but writing reports is boring. I'd rather be working than bragging about my accomplishments, resting on my laurels, or planning long-term and shoehorning my ideas into project categories. Despite viewing myself as a rather methodical, entrenched habits sort of person, apparently there is a strong spontaneous side to me as well.

A few take-away points here: Being part of an organization means not everyone sees what I do every day, so I should get comfortable with communicating my progress and ensuring they know how valuable I am (and keep paying me, right?). Stretching means doing things I'm not crazy about, not just the things I like to do. A little enforced reflection is a good thing. And I've always thought life should be more like school, with a definite calendar, a final exam or a paper due on a certain date (so you know how you're doing), and the clear delineation of the end of one phase and the beginning of another. Well, duh, writing these reports was my final exam for this class, so to speak.

After my day stretched into the evening hours so I could leave my desk with the feeling of having finished it all, I settled on the couch at home to read more of The Brothers K. This is a family/religion/baseball novel, told with a great sense of humor and emotional depth. I am really enjoying it, and if you like this sentence, you will understand why.


And whenever it's really hot Elder Babcock's sermon--even if it starts out being about some nice quiet thing like the poor or meek or weak--will sooner or later twist like a snake with its head run over to the unquiet subject of heaven and hell, and who all is going to which, and how long you'll have to stay, and what all will happen to you when you get there, and he goes on so loud and long and the air gets so used up and awful that bit by bit you lose track of any difference between his heaven and his hell and would gladly pick either one over church.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great sentence. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ok that was an interesting twist! and yeah, I get it which is scary all by itself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent sentence...thanks for sharing. I assume your report was not quite so, pointed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all liked it! (My report was not nearly so interesting, either.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! Brothers K is in my iTunes library, moving towards the top of my list of books to read with my ears. I am looking forward to it.

    Did you pick it because of the baseball (I've forgotten what the theme of your challenge is)? It is on my list of 20 Greatest Oregon Books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me about my Oregon Book list! After I posted that comment, I went to my list and found that all the links were messed up (old post made when I didn't know what I was doing).

    So I revamped by 20 Greatest Oregon Books post so that it works now.

    If you hadn't been reading The Brothers K, I may never have figured out that I had a problem.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.