Tuesday, January 27, 2009

More About Themed Reading

Any theme goes for this baby! I've been amused by the various ways people pull their lists together: everything from books with Sisters to books with a "European setting, female author, time period significant."

I made a new label for the label cloud ("Challenge Reading") because this challenge begins February 1 and I will have progress to report (I hope!).

Having picked my list early, I have been waiting semi-patiently for the calendar to turn. Thoreau's Walden was on the original list, but I read it because of another, unrelated deadline, so I had to disqualify that one. Otherwise, the list simply stands and waits.

Guilty Conscience Books
(books I've started but never been able to finish, and
books people have given me that I've never actually read . . . yet)

1. Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems, by Ralph Waldo Emerson (I think I love Emerson, but I can't be sure)

2. Light in August, by William Faulkner (don't tell my 10th grade English teacher, but I probably deserved that "B")

3. Remembrance of Things Past, by Marcel Proust (I bet I'm not the only one)

4. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy (by special request from Amanda)

5. Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift (no problem, C.S.)

6. Birthday Letters, by Ted Hughes (poetry, but still counts as a book)

7. Dark Night of the Soul, by St. John of the Cross (Spanish mysticism should be interesting)

8. The Brothers K, by David James Duncan (do I need to read The Brothers Karamazov as a warm-up?--nah, I've heard this one is about baseball.)

9. I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb (we'll see--my last experience with a New York Times-recommended book was not good)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! If any theme goes, I may be able to pull this off....I'll have to go re-read the rules...if my amazon shipment gets here in time, my choice may be wide enough I could imagine a theme of some sort...I don't want to do books I never finished though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I can't wait to hear what you decide.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.