Thursday, January 8, 2009

Beating the Odds, or I'm Going Out to Buy a Lottery Ticket RIGHT NOW

So I'm reading along in Aspects of the Novel, and Forster is talking about how he doesn't like Ulysses. Among other things, he says it's the anti-Victorianization of everything. I think he means that while the Victorians went to extremes to sanitize everything they considered dirty (supposedly putting trousers on piano legs and so on, to avoid engendering sexual thoughts), Joyce tries to "cover the universe with mud, . . . to make crossness and dirt succeed where sweetness and light failed, a simplification of the human character in the interests of Hell." Okay, so he didn't like it, and he skewers it pretty effectively.

However, that's not my point. My point is: I'm reading along, minding my own business, and what does Forster say next? He describes the friendship between Bloom and Dedalus as an important point in the book where "smaller mythologies swarm and pullulate." There's that word again. Twice in two days! What are the chances??

I could be walking around lucky and not even know it.

2 comments:

  1. Now you will probably see it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sign of it so far today . . . but I'm on the look-out.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.