By reader request, the cat graciously agreed to judge which book should next receive my attention.
I limited the choices by picking my own top 5 candidates from my To Be Read list, choosing the ones that spoke to me most persuasively:
1. The Line of Beauty, by Alan Hollinghurst
2. The Conservationist, by Nadine Gordimer
3. Staying On, by Paul Scott
4. Fugitive Pieces, by Anne Michaels
5. When I Lived in Modern Times, by Linda Grant
Judging began at 10:31 a.m.
The other books were never even in the running. Cat tracks on the towel confirmed my impression that she made a beeline for this book.
So far, she has declined all requests for interviews concerning the reasons for her choice. It may well be that this one was speaking to her, too.