Sunday, January 11, 2009

Announcing Poll Result and Book Choice!


By reader request, the cat graciously agreed to judge which book should next receive my attention.



I limited the choices by picking my own top 5 candidates from my To Be Read list, choosing the ones that spoke to me most persuasively:

1. The Line of Beauty, by Alan Hollinghurst
2. The Conservationist, by Nadine Gordimer
3. Staying On, by Paul Scott
4. Fugitive Pieces, by Anne Michaels
5. When I Lived in Modern Times, by Linda Grant

Judging began at 10:31 a.m.



10:33 a.m. - We have a winner! The Conservationist, by Nadine Gordimer.

The other books were never even in the running. Cat tracks on the towel confirmed my impression that she made a beeline for this book.

So far, she has declined all requests for interviews concerning the reasons for her choice. It may well be that this one was speaking to her, too.

6 comments:

  1. I find it hard -- no, impossible -- to believe that this cat is declining interviews. Since when did she stop talking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cat enjoys the work of Nobel laureates? Mine is just crazy.

    I actually stopped by to say that I named you for the Premios Dardo Award! See here for details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so kind! Thank you so much! Appropriate post to follow . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and: It's a used book, so it's possible that the previous reader was eating a tuna sandwich at the time. Or had a cat that liked Nobel laureates.

    Whatever the reason she picked it, she is just not sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty kitty! Good for her for being decisive (which is more than I can say for myself, most days).

    ReplyDelete
  6. She and I both have trouble choosing, sometimes, but she apparently took her responsibilities quite seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.