Monday, July 6, 2009

Regret

There are only a few things I truly regret in life. This is one of them.

Once upon a time, I bought a fireworks display at a charity auction. I bid about $125 for it, which was just about what it was worth. (That's the secret to auction success, in case you didn't already know: paying what something is worth, or perhaps a little more. No one will compete with you then. Just sayin'.)

I thought it would be totally cool to have my own personal fireworks display.

Imagine having some friends over, and after dessert, being able to say, "Okay, let's all go out on the porch for a few minutes."

At the time I lived on a fairly large piece of property, so I thought there would be plenty of space for all the safety requirements.

What I didn't account for was the drought that summer, the impossibility of permits under those conditions, and then moving away.

I ended up donating the fireworks certificate to the town, hoping that would make the permitting process easier and ensure the certificate would be used. I don't know if they ever launched "my" fireworks.

But I sure wish I had.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer!

    I wanted to light sparklers at the end of our farm wedding to send off the bride & groom. But we decided it might be too much of a fire hazard. Sometimes life isn't fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea, Ruth! Sorry you had to think the better of it. Being sensible can be such a drag.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.