Monday, April 6, 2009

Man Booker Prize Winners (Read and TBR)

I'm not quite halfway through the Man Booker Prize list and that's actually not bad, considering I've been both working and going to school for the last nine years. I'm also slowly upgrading my collection. After years of preferring paperbacks, my loyalty is shifting to hardbacks. Maybe the Brodart book covers have something to do with that? So professional!

I'm also starting to enjoy the occasional first edition, although no way am I prepared to shell out thousands of dollars for a book. PaperBackSwap has been a godsend in this department. I have received some seriously nice books, and even some first editions, essentially for free.

As it is, the desire for hardbacks adds another wrinkle to the tracking process. The ones in blue are the ones still on my TBR shelf. I'd like to check them off before the end of the year, but no promises. The ones in green are the Quest Books: the ones I've never even seen, but always have an eye out for.

Aravind Adiga, The White Tiger (2008) (HB)
Kingsley Amis, The Old Devils (1986) (HB)
Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin (2000) (HB)
John Banville, The Sea (2005) (HB)
Pat Barker, The Ghost Road (1995) (HB)
Julian Barnes, The Sense of an Ending (2011) (HB)
Paul Beatty, The Sellout (2016) (PB)
John Berger, G (1972) (PB)
Anita Brookner, Hotel Du Lac (1984) (HB)
A.S. Byatt, Possession (1990) (HB)
Peter Carey, Oscar and Lucinda (1988) (HB)
Peter Carey, True History of the Kelly Gang (2001) (HB)
Eleanor Catton, The Luminaries (2013) (HB)
J.M. Coetzee, Disgrace (1999) (HB)
J.M. Coetzee, Life and Times of Michael K (1983) (HB)
Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss (2006) (HB)
Roddy Doyle, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha (1993) (HB)
Anne Enright, The Gathering (2007) (HB)
J.G. Farrell, The Seige of Krishnapur (1973) (HB)
Penelope Fitzgerald, Offshore (1979) (HB)
Richard Flanagan, The Narrow Road to the Deep North (2014) (HB)
William Golding, Rites of Passage (1980) (HB)
Nadine Gordimer, The Conservationist (1974 co-winner) (PB)
Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty (2004) (HB)
Keri Hulme, The Bone People (1985) (HB)
Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day (1989) (HB)
Howard Jacobson, The Finkler Question (2010) (PB)
Marlon James, A Brief History of Seven Killings (2015) (HB)
Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Heat & Dust (1975) (PB)
James Kelman, How Late It Was, How Late (1994) (HB)
Thomas Keneally, Schindler's Ark (1982) (HB)
Penelope Lively, Moon Tiger (1987) (HB)
Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall (2009) (HB)
Hilary Mantel, Bring up the Bodies (2012) (PB)
Yann Martel, Life of Pi (2002) (HB)
Ian McEwan, Amsterdam (1998) (HB)
Stanley Middleton, Holiday (1974 co-winner) (PB)
Iris Murdoch, The Sea, The Sea (1978) (HB)
V.S. Naipaul, In a Free State (1971) (HB)
P.H. Newby, Something to Answer For (1969) (HB)
Ben Okri, The Famished Road (1991) (HB)
Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient (1992) (HB)
D.C.B. Pierre, Vernon God Little (2003) (HB)
Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things (1997) (HB)
Bernice Rubens, The Elected Member (1970) (HB)
Salman Rushdie, Midnight's Children (1981) (PB)
Paul Scott, Staying On (1977) (HB)
David Storey, Saville (1976) (HB)
Graham Swift, Last Orders (1996) (HB)
Barry Unsworth, Sacred Hunger (1992) (HB)

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing that some of those books are so hard to find?!?!?

    You would think the prize alone would lead to more books being published. I have to confess that I often remove and discard the paper covers from hard back books *wince*. I know, but they bug me, especially when I am reading in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the 70's books are elusive. I'm not sure why. The Booker Prize wasn't that prestigious then, maybe?

    I used to toss the dust covers, too. Now I enjoy the ritual of putting them into the mylar covers as soon as I get them home. To each her own (although the lack of a cover seriously impairs the value of the book for collectors).

    C.S. takes the covers off while he's reading them, and puts them on again when he's done. Might work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added your link to my Booker list. I look forward to tracking your progress!

    I found a copy of In a free State (paperback) at a library book sale. But I've been looking for that Elected member book for years without luck.

    The dustjacket getting beat up is what bugs me, so I'm with CS -- I take it off while I read the book and put it back after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rose City! (As the saying goes, it's an honor just to be nominated.) I've also added an Orange Prize post, in case you are interested in tracking those. Bel Canto is on there, but some of the other winners are VERY good.

    Brodart changed my life re: the dust jackets. They stay perfect that way. Highly recommended.

    If I ever find the Elected Member, I'll buy two! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of these on my TBR list as well. I've just checked out the White Tiger from the library today. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I love external validation.