Sunday, July 13, 2008

Frankly Speaking




J.G. will probably differ with me on this, but I don't think the Dodger Dog is all that it's cracked up to be. Oh, I've wolfed down three or four while here in L.A. I can't think of many hot dogs I won't eat. Well, I can think of one. During my stay in Pasadena, I checked out the Baseball Reliquary, an exhibit of odd baseball artifacts. One of the featured items was a desiccated weiner said to be partially consumed by Babe Ruth sometime in the 1920s. It was not a pretty sight.



Getting back to the Dodger Dog. It's a footlong on a regular-sized bun, and it might just be the most famous baseball food item in the majors. But I think it owes its appeal to its unique name and the experience of having one at the ballpark more than the actual taste. J.G. had her share at DodgerTown in Vero Beach (though we're not sure whether they'll continue selling them during spring training now that the Dodgers have pulled out).



Hot dogs are clearly a matter of personal taste. I prefer the Cincinnati-style dogs, which are thumb-sized, with mustard, chopped onion, chili and grated cheese. I know J.G doesn't care for those as much. Both of us like Hot Dog Heaven in Orlando but don't care for the house specialty, which is the Chicago-style dog. When you get right down to it, the best hot dog of them all is the one made on the grill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I love external validation.